Friday, April 17, 2020

A Look At My Prescense Online



New Research Study Shows That Social Media Privacy Might Not Be ...

An online social media presence is, in my eyes, seemingly inescapable to anybody living in the modern world. One can’t just make the personal and professional, formal and informal, connections through face to face communication alone anymore. As social media giants have boomed over the last couple decades, everybody has created some sort of online identity. It’s not just something we do recreationally; it’s become something we need for human connection, whether it be to find information on Google and Twitter, update our friends and family on Instagram and Facebook, or reach out to employers on LinkedIn or Indeed. So, although it has been said over and over again, it is important to be introspective with your online presence to see what others could learn from it. So, I will be examining my own online presence in this blog post.

Personally, I don’t tend to put out a large amount of personal information or content on my social media. The social media sites I use are predominately Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat. Twitter is where I am predominately when I am using social media, as I use Twitter an average of 5-6 hours more often per week than my second highest used social media. While Twitter is where I use social media the most, I don’t really post anything personal or provide any private information on there. Most of my time is spent scrolling through my timeline, checking the news, retweeting things I find interesting or noteworthy, and privately communicating with friends. Twitter (@Twitter) | TwitterThe same goes for my usage of snapchat and Instagram. I’d have to say I’m a fairly unique Instagram user, as I haven’t posted my face in any of my previous posts. I also rarely post to begin with, as it’s been nearly 2 years since I’ve last posted. I mostly have it just to keep track of how my friends from high school are doing. The same goes for Snap Chat, which I mostly use just to communicate with friends. Like Instagram, I rarely post publicly, and when I do, I never show my face or give my location. So, if someone were to glean at any of my social media pages, they’d really only find that I post a lot about the current world of sports, and that I’m interested in pop culture news surrounding movies and television series.

One of the largest social media brands that I don’t use is Facebook. I technically have an account, but I’ve only ever really used it for some certain classes I’ve taken. I’ve never personalized my account or posted anything of real substance on it before. Originally, I didn’t “get-in” to Facebook because it seemed like the social media brand for adults and parents who want to check in to see how their old classmates from high school are doing. I also felt like I had enough social media presence as is. With Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat, I can really connect with anyone I’ve already met. No need for another one. Then, when I discovered the news of the Facebook and Cambridge Analytica Data scandal, where the Cambridge Analytica firm provided the personal information data of millions of Facebook accounts to politicians in exchange for a quick buck and saw all the bad publicity Facebook received for misusing and crossing lines with their customer’s personal data, it sort of cemented the idea in my head that Facebook just wasn’t worth it.
Facebook–Cambridge Analytica data scandal - Wikipedia
With that said, it does make me think about my usage with other accounts like Twitter and Instagram. I mean, just because Facebook got so publicly caught with their blatant data usage doesn’t mean they are the only ones who do so. Just a quick google search can show that other social media’s have their own fair share of privacy issues, like Twitter’s leak of Ip addresses containing users’ phone numbers back in 2018. Same goes for Instagram just last year. For some reason, I thought just because I didn’t use Facebook, I wouldn’t have to worry about my privacy. However, all social media brands seem to have this common issue, so I’m not completely safe just because I don’t use Facebook that much. I mean, I have my full name, and email, and my phone number attached to my Twitter. What’s stopping some hacker or leak from exposing my personal data there? It makes me think that if I really wanted true privacy ad security, I’d have to go out of my way to remove myself from all social media accounts.


No comments:

Post a Comment